Sunday, May 15, 2011

Collab Notes >4< :: CLEARLY

More exciting progress on CLEARLY.  Hiromi, the visual artist, and I visited the Gaffer's Guild studio last week and shot some really great video of molten glass, as well as some of the basic processes of blowing glass...I think we even got some glass breaking in the video!

I have begun experimenting with video and sound clips in my studio space at the Octagon Center for the Arts.  A small video clip is below.  The atmosphere of the installation will be filled with electronic sounds, both pre-produced and recorded as well as processed sound and delay of the live music.  I will be revisiting the music processing program Max MSP as well as utilizing a sound editing program.  This is probably the most daunting part of the project as I spend most of my time working in the acoustic world of music and only preliminarily know what I am doing with electronic tools to process music.

New wind chimes came in from Nathan Ratliff last week.  They look and sound amazing.  In the process of hanging them I dropped an older wind chime flat on the floor...it was the greatest sound, but didn't prove to be so good for the thin glass bars.  That one has been shipped back for salvaging pieces.

We have been asked to perform at the Des Moines Arts Festival this year on June 25 at 7:30 on their performing arts stage.  And I am anxiously awaiting any news from the Iowa Arts Council on the Major Grant I applied for.  This will determine what happens next with regards to how I organize the music and all, so it kind of puts us at a standstill while the Iowa Government deliberates on the funding cuts (let's hope not) to the IAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment